School Name

Department Name

Tab Content - One

FERPA procedure for disseminating student information

"Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) - A federal law designed to protect the privacy of educational records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their education records, and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate and misleading data through informal and formal hearings."

In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, certain information pertaining to students may not be released to a third party without the written consent of the student. Therefore, the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff hereby designates the following categories of student information as public or "Directory Information".

The exact electronic address at which the information is posted; and
(ii) A statement that the institution will provide a paper copy of the information on request.
Such information may be disclosed by the institution for any purpose, at its discretion:

CATEGORY I Name, address, electronic mail address, telephone number, dates of attendance, and classification.

CATEGORY II Previous institution(s) attended, major field of study, awards, honors (includes Dean's list), degree(s) conferred (including dates), and University taken photographs for institutional marketing and historical purposes.

CATEGORY III Past and present participation in officially recognized sports and activities, physical factors (height/weight of athletes), date and place of birth, and photograph of student.

NOTE: Information pertaining to the students' academic status is CONFIDENTIAL, and should not be released without the written consent of the student (Example: transcripts, grade reports, grade point average, ACT scores, class rank and academic status.)

Current enrolled students may withhold disclosure of any category of information under the Family Educational rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended. To withhold disclosure, written notification must be received in the Office of Academic Records/Registrar’s Office prior to the last day to complete registration. Forms requesting the withholding of "Directory Information" are available in the Office of Academic Records/Registrar’s Office. The University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff assumes that failure on the part of any student to specifically request the withholding of categories of "Directory Information" indicates individual approval for disclosure.

The University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff may disclose educational records without written consent of students to the following groups who have a "legitimate educational interest":
  • Employees within the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff who maintain educational records and those with a legitimate educational interest, including faculty or staff who deal with the student and carry out education studies, and employees designated by them to assist in these tasks.;
  • Any university employee, or person acting on behalf of the university, may have access to student records without the student's written consent if that person needs the access to carry out his/her employment responsibilities.;
  • Officials of other colleges or universities in which the student seeks to enroll, with a notice of the disclosure being sent to the student's last known address;
  • Organizations conducting studies approved by the University having educational value or concerning financial aid;
  • Accrediting organizations approved by the University carrying out their accrediting functions;
  • Parents who submit to the Registrar a copy of the first page of their most recent federal income tax form, indicating that their child/student is a dependent as defined by the internal revenue service.;
  • Persons in compliance with a judicial order or a lawfully issued subpoena, with a notice of the disclosure being sent to the last known address of the student;
  • Persons in an emergency if, in the judgment of an official in charge of the records, knowledge of the information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other person;
  • In addition, the University would release education records if ordered by a subpoena;
  • The disclosure is to state or local educational authorities auditing or enforcing Federal or State supported educational programs or enforcing Federal laws which relate to those programs;
  • The disclosure is in connection with determining eligibility, amounts, and terms for financial aid or enforcing the terms and conditions of financial aid; and
  • The information disclosed has been appropriately designated as directory information by the school.

Disciplinary Records

Provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended by the Higher Education Amendments of 1998, govern access to a student's disciplinary file. The student and/or those College officials who demonstrate a legitimate educational need for disciplinary information may have access to the student's disciplinary file. Parent(s), who provide proof that a student is a dependent as defined in Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 can have access to the student's disciplinary file without written consent of the student. An example of such proof would be a copy of the last federal income tax return listing the student as a dependent. In this case, parents may also have access to a disciplinary file, even if the student has requested otherwise.

In addition, parent(s) may be notified if a student under 21 years of age is found responsible for a violation involving use or possession of alcohol and drugs.
The Campus Security Act permits higher education institutions to disclose to alleged victims of any crime of violence (murder, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, motor vehicle theft) the results of the conduct proceedings conducted by the institution against an alleged perpetrator with respect to such crime. The Campus Security Act also requires that both accused and the accuser must be informed of campus conduct proceedings involving a sexual assault.
Additionally, the Higher Education Amendments of 1998 permit disclosure of the final results of disciplinary cases in which a student has been found responsible for a violation involving violence or for a sex offense.

Parental Access to Children's Education Records

At the post-secondary level, parents have a right to inspect their dependent child's education records. However, the University can not assume the dependency status of all of our students and thus requires one of the following to release records to a student's parents:

  • Written consent of the student; and/or
  • Submission of evidence that the parents declare the student as a dependent on their most recent Federal Income Tax form (IRS Code of 1954, Section 152).

The Office of Academic Records/Registrar’s Office has been designated as the official office to verify enrollment, release transcripts and grade reports, and to certify any information pertaining to the student’s academic record.


A list of current sex offenders associated with the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff is developed and maintained in the Department of Public Safety and Police, in the Campus Police Complex located at 1200 North University Drive, Pine Bluff, Arkansas. Questions may be addressed to the Office of Internal Review/Administrative Services, to the attention of Mr. Maxcie Thomas.

Tab Content - Two

Deceased Student Records

FERPA’s protection of personally identifiable information in a student’s education records ends at the time of a student’s death. Institutions are allowed to develop policies to protect information on behalf of the deceased student and families thereof. The University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff has adopted a procedure for deceased student records.

Policy: The University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff regards the academic records of deceased students as confidential information. The academic records may be released at the discretion of the University.

Procedure: The records can be released only upon receipt of a written request sent to the Registrar’s Office (Academic Records). The record will only be released to a spouse, parent, and the executor/administrator of the estate, a child, sibling, court order or subpoena. The request must include the need for the records; must identify the requestor’s relationship to the deceased student; and must be accompanied with an official record certifying authorization to receive the student records, i.e., assignment as executor/executrix. An official copy of the death certificate must accompany the written request. Signature is required.

The request should contain as much of the following information:
1. All names of the former student
2. Social security number or student ID
3. Date of birth
4. Dates of attendance

For further assistance, please contact the Registrar’s Office (Academic Records)
Mail Slot 4983-1200 North University Drive
University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff
Pine Bluff, AR 71603

(870) 575-8491 Phone
(870) 575-4608 Fax

Tab Content - Three

Academic Clemency Policy

In accordance with Act 1000 of 1991, 78th General Assembly for the State of Arkansas, the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff has adopted a policy on Academic Clemency. Academic Clemency provides a second chance for students who performed poorly in their early academic career(s) and who wish to return to college after having gained an appreciation for higher education. In order to qualify for Academic Clemency a student must meet and accept the conditions outlined below:

1. The student must not have been enrolled in any institution (college or university) for a period of at least five years prior to applying for Academic Clemency at the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff.

2. The student has to file an application requesting Academic Clemency with the Office of Academic Records prior to the student being admitted or readmitted to the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff.

3. In order for Academic clemency to be granted after the minimum period non-enrollment, the student must be enrolled full-time during two consecutive semesters (summer sessions not included). If the student withdraws from the University the first semester after an application for clemency is filed, the student may return the second semester and still be considered for Academic Clemency; however, the student must earn a minimum grade point average of 2.00 and a minimum of twelve semester credits. No further consideration will be given after this time.

4. Academic Clemency will be granted only after the student has performed as outlined in item 3. The Registrar will review the application and render an appropriate decision. Questionable applications will be referred to the Student Appeals Committee for a decision.

5. A student must be seeking the initial undergraduate degree (Bachelor’s) from the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff.

6. The student forfeits all grades and credits (including transfer) earned prior to the minimum period of non-enrollment, and such credits will not be considered from this point forward at the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff.

7. Academic Clemency is permanent, not reversible and may be exercised only once in the student’s academic career at the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff.

8. Courses on which Academic Clemency is granted will remain on the permanent record transcript, but will not be used in the computation of the cumulative grade point average. The notation “Academic Clemency Granted (Date)” will be placed on the permanent academic transcript to identify courses excluded from computing the grade point average.

9. In regard to athletic eligibility, all terms (including the terms in which Academic Clemency was declared) will be used to determine eligibility status.

10. In regard to financial aid history, accumulated terms and award limits include all terms of enrollment, including any semester in which Academic Clemency was declared.

11. The Registrar must explain the University’s Grade Renewal Policy (repeat policy) to all applicants. Grade renewal may be more effective for a student with both passing and failing grades.

12. This Academic Clemency policy applies ONLY to the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, and may not be honored by other colleges and universities for students transferring.

A student who declares ACADEMIC CLEMENCY will be subject to all University policies.

Tab Content - Four

Transfer of Credit Policy

The University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff records all courses and grades transferred from regionally accredited four-year colleges and/or universities as received. A maximum of 78 hours is accepted from regionally accredited two-year colleges.

Transfer credits are calculated in the hours attempted and earned. The University maintains a transfer grade point average and an institutional (UAPB) grade point average in calculating the overall cumulative grade point average. The cumulative grade point average is used for undergraduate honor distinctions upon graduation, athletic eligibility, and membership requirements for joining a sorority, fraternity and other social or service organizations.

Grades earned at UAPB may be used to replace a grade deficiency acquired at a former institution based upon similarity of course content and comparability. All attempts at the course will remain on the transcript, but only the highest grade will be used to calculate both credit and GPA. The first attempt(s) and the grade earned will be recorded on the transcript with a notation indicating “same as (Course name) and term repeated”.

The University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff participates in the Arkansas Course Transfer System (ACTS) provided by the Arkansas Department of Higher Education. The ACTS system is a post-secondary education resource service that provides comparable course information to facilitate student transfer within Arkansas public colleges and universities. Comparable courses within ACTS are guaranteed to transfer for full credit to any Arkansas public institution. Students may use the ACTS database to obtain faculty-generated comparable course information for a number of courses offered at public institutions in Arkansas.

To access course transfer information in ACTS, go to; then, press the “Continue” button at the bottom of the page to begin the process. The next page, labeled ACTS Student Transfer provides opportunity to view transferable courses by selecting the institution transferring from and the institution transferring to. Follow the instructions given.

  • If the report lists a course, the course is guaranteed to transfer if UAPB has a comparable course.
  • If the report states “No Comparable Course,” the course is not guaranteed to transfer. Contact the Registrar’s Office for further information as it is possible that the course will not transfer.
  • Transferability of courses taken prior to January 1, 2007 is at the discretion of UAPB per the Arkansas Department of Higher Education.

Any course taken for credit at another regionally accredited institution while a student is enrolled at UAPB must have prior written permission of the student’s advisor, department chair, and dean in order for that credit to be accepted toward the fulfillment of degree requirements. A student cannot transfer credit earned at a junior or community college beyond the sophomore year. An exception may be granted if a student lacked a subject in the freshman or sophomore year. Permission from the advisor, department chairperson and dean will be required. The Request for Concurrent Enrollment or Transfer of College Credits form (AA Form 12) must be completed by academic departments and submitted to the Registrar’s Office for acceptance and awarding of credits. Concurrent transfer credits must not exceed university course load limitations in accordance with academic load standards per term.

Act 182 of 2009 was repealed and incorporated in Act 747 of 2011. Under Act 747, a student may complete a generic Associate of Arts degree, or a 60-semester credit hour state minimum core curriculum that will transfer fully to the bachelor’s degree. To facilitate transfer, the Academic Affairs Officers and ADHE agreed that the Associate of Arts degree and the 60-credit hour state minimum core would be the same curriculum. Associate (transfer) degrees earned prior to January 2010 do not come under the direction of ACT 182 of 2009 or ACT 747; therefore, institutional discretion will be used in considering the comprehensive transfer of these degrees. Guidelines for associate degrees that are fully transferable can be found at

In accordance with ACT 747, the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff will not require additional general education and institutional required courses beyond the state minimum core. To compensate for the differential in the minimum hours (3 to 10 hours) required for degrees, the University will require junior/senior level electives at the discretion of the department in which the student is majoring and in consultation with the student. The electives must be entered on the student’s official degree plan at least two semesters prior to the anticipated date of graduation. Students may elect to take the lower level courses at their discretion.

Transferability, Equivalency, and Applicability

  1. Transferability refers to the conditions under which the University accepts credit from other post-secondary institutions for inclusion in the student's record. The Office of Registrar is responsible for determining transferability. 
  2. Equivalency entails equating transfer credit, both in hours and content, to University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff course requirements. Lower level equivalencies are generally determined by the Registrar’s Office, upper level equivalencies are generally determined by the departmental major.
  3. Applicability of credit toward a degree refers to the prerogative of the academic divisions to count specific credit toward the fulfillment of a student's degree requirements. The student’s major department is responsible for determining applicability within University policies in conjunction with the Registrar’s Office.

Undergraduate Process:

Transfer credits are posted and equated by the Registrar’s Office in conjunction with academic departments. Generally, the Registrar’s Office equates by assigning course-to course equivalencies, general education equivalencies, and core/elective courses that are equivalent to UAPB courses. This initial equate is done to facilitate timely advisement and the applicability of transfer credits to the degree audit. This process helps to ensure that students do not repeat courses unnecessarily. Departments also submit transfer equivalencies on substitution forms to the Registrar’s Office. For courses that cross academic disciplines, both departmental approvals are required to award the course equivalent substitution. It is important to note that UAPB will give no more credit for a transfer course than is given at UAPB for the equivalent course. All work transferred from two-year institutions is considered lower division. However, some two-year college courses may meet the intent of specific upper division courses at UAPB.

Graduate Process:

For graduate programs, the appropriate school has the responsibility for the evaluation and awarding of transfer credits within transfer credit hour guidelines per program.

Tab Content - Five

Academic Jeopardy, Probation, Suspension, and Readmission Policy

To remain in good academic standing, students must maintain a 2.00 cumulative grade point average. Students are in academic jeopardy when their cumulative grade point average falls below 2.00, but above the average commensurate with the ‘hours attempted range’ as specified in Table 1.

The University places students on academic probation when their cumulative grade point average falls below the average commensurate with the ‘hours attempted range’ as specified in Table 2. The course load for students on academic probation may not exceed 13 credit hours.

The University places students on academic suspension when their cumulative grade point average falls below the average commensurate with the ‘hours attempted range’ as specified in Table 2 for two consecutive semesters. The period of academic suspension is one semester. Students are not eligible to transfer credits taken during a Fall or Spring term at another institution back to UAPB while on academic suspension.

 Hours Attempted  Cumulative GPA
 0 – 16   1.50
 17 – 32     1.65
 33 – 48   1.75
 49 – 64     1.83
 65 – 80      1.90
 81 – 96  1.96
 97 and above  2.00
Table 1. Academic Jeopardy

Hours Attempted       Cumulative GPA  Maximum Hours
 0 – 16   1.50 - 2.00  13.00
 17 – 32     1.60 - 2.00  13.00
 33 – 48   1.70 - 2.00  13.00
 49 – 64    1.80 - 2.00  13.00
 65 – 80    1.90 - 2.00  13.00
 81 – 96       1.90 - 2.00  13.00
 97 and above    2.00  13.00
Table 2. Academic Probation Matrix

Students, placed on academic probation for the prior term (regardless of the recalculated GPA illustrated on the transcript due to repeated courses not passed), that earned less than a term GPA of 1.50 in the subsequent term will be placed on academic suspension.

Students appealing academic suspension must meet with the Student Academic Appeals Committee for review and reconsideration of enrollment. Students placed on academic suspension are informed of appeal dates and location prior to registration. If allowed to re-enroll by appeal, students must earn a 2.00 term GPA. If denied by the committee, students may petition to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs for final disposition.

Students, who have finished their first period of academic suspension, will be required to report to the Student Success Center prior to registering. These students will be on academic probation and limited to a maximum academic load of 13 credit hours.

Tab Content - Six

Attendance Policy

  1. Attendance is the responsibility of the student. Students are expected to regularly attend all classes in which they are enrolled.
  2. Instructors will provide each student with the attendance requirements in writing, either in the course syllabus or in a separate handout, and verbally explain them to students the first day of class.
  3. The student is responsible for informing instructors in advance when an absence will occur. If this is not possible, it is the responsibility of the student to contact the instructor as soon as possible.
  4. For school-sanctioned events such as field trips, band, choir, athletics and similar events, the coordinator of the event should send a letter to the Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs seeking approval for the respective students to be absent from classes for the event. The letter should identify the type of event for which excused absences are being requested and include a listing of all student participants. Following approval, the list and the letter of request with the Vice-Chancellor's approval should be presented by all student participants to their respective instructors. The Coordinator of the event will submit a copy of the approved letter and the list of student participants to the Dean of Students' Office where it will be kept on record.
  5. The Dean of Students will notify instructors when a student is absent three days or longer due to an illness or other issue. This courtesy memo does not alter the instructor's attendance policies, excuse the student from policy #3 above, nor does it constitute an excused absence. Rather, it is documentation of the absence.
  6. Class participation may be used, at the instructor's discretion, as a factor in determining a student's final grade for the course.

Census Period

Students who do not attend class at least one time during the first 11 days of the fall and spring semesters, or the first 5 days of a summer session, will be administratively dropped from the course for non-attendance.




Content - Bottom Right

Office of Academic Records
Administration Building, Room 220 
1200 North University Drive, Mail Slot 4983
Pine Bluff, AR 71601

Phone: 870-575-8487
Fax: 870-575-4608 

Aretha Lacefield, Registrar
Academic Records Staff